www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:31:46 GMT

On 17/04/2009, at 10:34 AM, Nathan Beyer wrote:

> I don't think this is a valid comparison. The Adobe bits of a
> Photoshop file are syntax, not semantics, which is what is being
> discussed. If a particular Photoshop file contained imagery that's not
> compliant with ASF legal requirements, then the file should probably
> be removed.

OK, my apologies. I thought we were talking about a legal copyright
issue rather than a philosophical distinction. I do believe this is
such a far reaching decision that there needs to be some clear
guidance to PMCs about:

* what is allowed to remain in svn history (that is, files which are
not in the latest revision). This is relevant to how a project
preserves their history from being in the incubator to becoming a full-
fledged project
* what is allowed to remain in the current revision of branches (for
example branches which are not trunk and might not have been touched
for 2 years)
* how do people make a distinction between some types of non-Apache
licensed material and others (eg. LPGL demo and Adobe licensed files).
Something clearer than "semantics" will be needed since PMCs will need
to decide on a daily basis what is OK and what is not.
* what is the distinction between a maven pom which requires an LGPL
library to run a demo, and a Photoshop file which requires a closed
source application to open? That is, what are the rules for the PMC to
follow when deciding which is allowed and which is not.

Ari Maniatis

NB: I have a law degree, but my knowledge of USA law is sketchy, so
there will be others here with much better understanding of the
relevant legal issues. But I'm guessing we are talking about a moral
(?) standpoint on making a statement about what the Apache license
stands for and how it is perceived by the world, and legal issues
might not be relevant here.

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001