www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:34:01 GMT

----- Original Message ----

I thought we had a webpage for determining what best practices are
with respect to releases at the ASF?  In fact, I see one linked from
the /dev/release.html page:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice

> We also happen to be our own users and have other
> ASF users so it would be nice to completely understand the requirements to build
> the correct tools. Maven specifically is constantly hit with statements like in
> the previous maven release thread that claim Maven doesn't do it right. Well, if
> you look at the current documentation it's not surprising because it's vague. If
> the intent is to make them vague and leave it to the PMC, fine, say so clearly.
> Otherwise lets make sure everyone agrees so we can fix it once and for all.
> Ignoring it doesn't solve anything.
>
> If we don't do anything about the perceived problems, we're called negligent. If
> we start a discussion to try and get to the bottom of it, we're arguing.

It's a either policy question, which in this case happens to be "overseen and
enforced" (however laxly) by infra.  Or it's a set of best practice guidelines,
which appear to be under development in the incubator.  Either way, bothering a
bunch of attorneys who follow this list seems to me to be either an attempt to
go over infra/incubator's head, or else it's a simple misunderstanding of the
nature of the issues.  Pick one.

> I guess it's lose lose either way, but I for one would like to lose by getting
> to some set of guidelines that everyone can agree upon and then go build the tools.

Figure out if you want guidelines or enforceable policy, and pick the group you need
to work with to get what you want done.  Simply sending an email to a mailing list
does not constitute doing work: offering specific wording or better yet, an actual
patch, is far more productive.