www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven Releases
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 04:19:52 GMT

On 27/04/2009, at 1:34 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Once the above is installed, massive amounts of plugins and extensions
> are downloaded on the fly. Most (all?) of those plugins are not
> released as Apache signed tarballs in accordance with guidelines,

They are all released as source JARs, along with signatures, via a
maven repository on apache hardware (later synced to the other
repository), monitored by Henk's scripts.

The only thing not in compliance with http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
  is that it isn't under www.apache.org/dist (though, the Maven
repository used to be and was moved for infrastructural reasons).
While it would be possible to publish source tarballs there as well,
I'm not seeing that there is much practical point to it.

I understand you probably raised this because of Shindig. Their case
may be entirely different, I didn't review much more than scanning the
email subjects.

> and
> it is impossible to create a operational Maven running in "offline"
> mode.

Not impossible, but much harder than it should be, because it relies
on things that need Maven to build itself. If you install them as pre-
requisites in the local repository you can succeed in bootstrapping
from the Maven source distribution. If you need to build plugins from
their sources, you would run mvn install after unpacking it.

> Has Maven been given some exemption from our legal release requirement
> somewhere in the past?

Let's be a little careful here - is there really a *legal* requirement
to your request, or is it a question of internal distribution policy?
I'm quite certain Maven release satisfy all of Apache's legal
requirements.

Given that, I think it would be best broached with dev@maven.

> Has anyone been working with Maven to resolve this issue?

No, patches welcome! :)

Seriously, if there is a requirement that is missed, or as a user you
have a need you'd like to see addressed, I'm more than happy to help
over there.

Cheers,
Brett