www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <hyand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:08:57 GMT
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Todd Volkert <tvolkert@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's the following:
>
> * The groovy scripting engine jars to run the scripting demo

Groovy is BSD/Apache licensed.

>  The demo builds without these but does not run without these.  So we
> push them out to the Wiki to run our live demo, but we don't release
> them.
>
> * The gdata demo and associated jars
> * The flex data services demo and associated jars
>
> IIRC, both these had non-Apache friendly licenses, so we exclude them
> both from the releases, but we still run the live demos on the Wiki.

What are the licenses? Especially if they are not-friendly then I'd
expect to see it spelt out in SVN or not there.

> * The JFree charts provider and associated jars
>
> JFree is licensed under LGPL, so we cannot build anything that depends
> on them.  As such, we architected our charts API to be service-based,
> and the JFree provider is just one such service provider.  But we
> release the JFree provider through Google Code.  We just build it from
> within the ASF repository.
>
> For all of the above, note that we are actively moving them off of the
> ASF repository just to cover all bases (see
> http://code.google.com/p/pivot-demos/).  The issue at hand now is
> two-fold:

+1 :) Especially for jfree anyway.

> 1) Pressing -- can we release 1.1 if it is based on a tag that
> contains these things in SVN?

Delete them from the tag before building so that all we're talking
about is something on trunk.

> 2) Academic -- is it OK to keep such things in SVN if you never "release" them?

Will depend on license. The LGPL JFreeChart example... sounds feasible
to me but I'd want to see some good separation in SVN from the other
source and noting of the license.

Hen