www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: CLA vs Grant
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2009 17:39:02 GMT
On Sunday 05 April 2009 11:22:05 Henri Yandell wrote:
> If someone has a signed CLA on file (but is not a committer), does
> that make it unnecessary to file a software grant for each large
> contribution?
>
> I think it does, but want to get consensus.
>
> Hen

Henry,

I'm quoting your response to one of my questions below -

[quote]
That page doesn't mention that if N developers have made X, and each
of N have an ICLA, then it can be committed by them to Apache under
the ICLA. No need for a grant (unless an argument starts). We need to
get that on a FAQ.

Hen
[/quote]

in reference to this page - http://incubator.apache.org/ip-
clearance/index.html

Is this what you are asking about? I'd personally rather just get the few guys
to file ICLA to incorporate a plugin. At the same time, I could see where a
larger codebases should require the whole IP review... I don't know who judges
what LOE is necessary.
--

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice