www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:49:29 GMT
El lun, 20-04-2009 a las 13:11 +1000, Aristedes Maniatis escribió:
> On 19/04/2009, at 1:13 PM, Santiago Gala wrote:
>
> > My personal guess is that what is relevant here is to know if the
> > legal
> > concept of "publishing" depends not just on the fact of making
> > documents
> > available or there needs to be some sort of "intent" to publish
>
> Legally, intent is not important. Just ask the defendants/victims of
> the RIAA's lawsuits in the USA. Their state of mind is not relevant.
> I'm guessing a large number of people using bitTorrent aren't aware
> that they are publishing anything.
>
> But it is important to recognise that this conversation doesn't appear
> to be about legal issues. Rather it is about something else: how
> Apache wishes to be perceived by the general public. We have seen one
> project pull demos out of trunk of their repository, so their
> interpretation seems to be:
>
> 1. non-Apache licensed things in official distributions: BAD.
> 2. non-Apache licensed things in trunk of svn: BAD
> 3. non-Apache licensed things in branches of svn: OK
> 4. non-Apache licensed things in history of svn: OK

Agreed for 1. and 2. if you change "non-Apache licensed" with the
compatibility categories.

for 3. and 4., and after reading other answers, I guess the trigger is
being able to do lawful distribution, even if our policies don't allow
bundling. So, having a GPL or LGPL in places where there is no confusion
with them being part of the release is probably kosher.

2. is a bit more fuzzy, as a full checkout would make "maybe
unsuspecting" users incur some risks of mixing licenses.