www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Bringing a plugin into project core
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:04:34 GMT
Hello,

A few of us struts devs built a plugin outside of Apache... We used
Google Code as sort of a sandbox. Now we would like to bring the
plugin we built into struts-core. The plugin is here -

http://code.google.com/p/jsonplugin/

The original license on the plugin is Apache License 2.0, so I'm not
worried about license incompatibilities. The authors of the plugin are
members of the struts dev team, so I'm not worried about copyright. I
don't know whether the google code project will be shutdown or left to
whither away.

Of course, this is all pending review of the code by the struts devs
who weren't originally involved with the plugin. However, before I
call a vote, I am pre-emptively asking here, since I know someone will
ask that we clear it with you guys first.

-Wes

/sidenote - If you are wondering why it was built outside, on google
code, rather than in our sandbox, it was simply a matter of
convenience. The struts release process is long and complicated. We
wanted to work on this and test it without being tied to the struts
release cycle. The plugin is mature now and this is no longer a
concern, plus struts-core could really benefit from its functionality.
So, we're hoping to bring it into core.

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice