www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: pivot copyrights/?/
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 04:14:23 GMT
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's my understanding that only the copyright holder can move/remove the
> copyright statement from these source files. I believe that this is the
> question that Greg is asking... So, yes, the Copyrights should be moved to a
> NOTICE file, if possible. However, a copyright holder, i.e. someone from
> VMware, would need to do the moving... Otherwise, the copyright statements
> would need to stay in the source files (along with the Apache source license
> header). Not desirable, but it is acceptable.

This is also my understanding of how the thing should be handled.
Since I know that both Greg and Todd are employed by VMware, and that
they have both worked on the codebase privately as well as with VMware
backing, I think it is safe to say that either one can remove the
Copyright headers in the files, and place a paragraph in the NOTICE
file.

Cheers
Niclas