www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Dead project names
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:56:30 GMT
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm with Henri here.  We should defend "Apache Foo" with vigor, but freely
> permit others to release products named "Acme Foo".  If MS open-sourced
> Windows, and Apache forked a version, wouldn't it make sense to call it
> "Apache Windows"?  Do we like it that Sun won't let us call Harmony "Apache
> Java"?  If not, why do we inflict the same pain on others?  Our brand is
> Apache.
>
> If we accept this then dead project names are a non-issue.

On the side of policy, I think there is too much confusion if we have
"Apache Lucene" and (to pick an example) "Sun Lucene."  While they
aren't identical, they are far too similar for comfort, IMO.  There
absolutely would be confusion throughout the community about which
"Lucene" is which.  I don't see anyone winning in that world - let
alone users.  -- justin