www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Simon Nash <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re: Pulling OASIS OpenCSA XSDs into Tuscany?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:22:47 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No.  You should do the work required to find the license and
>>> read it, and then only if it doesn't match one of the licenses
>>> already approved do you need to ask here.  It is a waste of other
>>> peoples' time to just point at a directory and tell us to do
>>> the work for you.
>>>
>>> AFAICT, none of the files in that directory are licensed for
>>> redistribution.  If you read the SCA spec [a], one might assume
>>> that they intended the spec license to apply to all of the files
>>> but, because the only license is specific to "this document".
>>> You will have to ask OASIS to properly license the files.
>>> See section 14 of [b].
>>>
>>> [a]
>>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-assembly/sca-assembly-1.1-spec.html
>>> [b] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php
>>>
>>> After which, they qualify as read-only standards documents.
>>> We can legally redistribute them, but I don't know if Sam has
>>> updated the policy to say that yet.
>>>
>> Thanks Roy, I'll wait and see if Sam has any other feedback to provide.
>
> My read matches Roy's.
>
> What I see is text that what you can do with "this document".
>
> It then goes on to specifically permit certain types of derivative
> works ("that comment on or otherwise explain it or assist in its
> implementation").
>
> I'd like to see a license that covers the files in question.
>
> - Sam Ruby

The other files will be part of the same OASIS standard as the
spec document and will have an identical license.  These files
include XSDs and a zip file containing Java APIs and annotations.

Based on the above discussion, I believe this will be sufficient
to allow Apache projects to use these files as read only.

   Simon