www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dead project names
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 21:41:07 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Again, most of this is asked and answered, and it's all under the PRC
> umbrella.

to know the policy?  I really don't want to join another list and engage
in more long, contentious, inconclusive discussions.

The only stated policy I can find is:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#Marks

That's considerably less guidance than Linux and Ubuntu provide.  We
should make this easy for folks, no?  Most folks, myself included, are
hesitant to join a mailing list and ask questions likely to generate
lengthy, confusing discussions, as most questions on Apache lists do.

In a quick search turns up  the following probable Lucene trademark
violations:

http://www.dotlucene.net/
http://www.lucene-consulting.com/
http://www.getopt.org/luke/
http://dev.lucene-ws.net/wiki/API
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lucene-search
http://drupal.org/project/luceneapi
http://lucenedotnet.com/
http://ll01.nla.gov.au/
http://www.opensymphony.com/compass/content/lucene.html
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com/
http://search.cpan.org/dist/WebService-Lucene/
http://blog.lucene.com/

So the current policy is not well observed.  If we had a reasonable
posted policy, we might find fewer such violations.  We might also have
something we could send these folks that they might reasonably act on
without further discussion, which would simplify compliance.

In any case, it does not look like this trademark has been well defended
and may thus no longer even be defensible.  Do we really have the
resources to defend 50+ trademarks?  We're not Proctor and Gamble.

I don't have the will to do much more than complain here, passing on the
complaints I've heard from others leery of complaining in public.  I do
not intend to join prc@ and work to fix this.  So I'm just providing a
drive-by opinion that the current process is broken.  Sorry!

Doug