www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Pulling OASIS OpenCSA XSDs into Tuscany?
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 02:14:17 GMT
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 2009, at 10:54 AM, Luciano Resende wrote:
>>
>>> Should I take silence as an OK for the OASIS license ?
>>
>> No.  You should do the work required to find the license and
>> read it, and then only if it doesn't match one of the licenses
>> already approved do you need to ask here.  It is a waste of other
>> peoples' time to just point at a directory and tell us to do
>> the work for you.
>>
>> AFAICT, none of the files in that directory are licensed for
>> redistribution.  If you read the SCA spec [a], one might assume
>> that they intended the spec license to apply to all of the files
>> but, because the only license is specific to "this document".
>> You will have to ask OASIS to properly license the files.
>> See section 14 of [b].
>>
>> [a]
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-assembly/sca-assembly-1.1-spec.html
>> [b] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php
>>
>> After which, they qualify as read-only standards documents.
>> We can legally redistribute them, but I don't know if Sam has
>> updated the policy to say that yet.
>>

> Thanks Roy, I'll wait and see if Sam has any other feedback to provide.

My read matches Roy's.

What I see is text that what you can do with "this document".

It then goes on to specifically permit certain types of derivative
works ("that comment on or otherwise explain it or assist in its
implementation").

I'd like to see a license that covers the files in question.

- Sam Ruby