www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: defensive publication
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 03:20:38 GMT
Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote on 02/10/2009 04:41:19 PM:
> A friend of mine pointed to me today the LinuxDefender project
> (http://www.linuxdefenders.org/) to protect OSS projects against patent
> trolls.
>
> I have started one year ago a project in commons sandbox called nabla.
> This projects involves some innovative ideas combining available
> technology for the Java platform (bytecode analysis, generation and
> (automatic differentiation). I would feel very sad if someone would
> patent these ideas and prevent this project to spread widely.
>
> I have a few questions about this topic. Do legal experts consider
> defensive publication (for example using the LinuxDefender project
> above) a good protection to avoid someone patents this ?

I'm not an expert, but one of the biggest problems with the patent office
is their inability to effectively identify prior art (not necessarily their
fault since there is A LOT of info out there).  The benefit of creating
official disclosures with linuxdefenders is they'll be presented in the way
most likely to be effectively used by the PTO.  That's a good thing, I
think.

> thanks,
> Luc

np, Jeff

Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/

PREPARED BY IBM ATTORNEY / PRIVILEGE REVIEW REQUIRED

This e-mail and its attachments, if any, may contain information that is
private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client, solicitor-client or
other privilege.  If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it
from your system without copying it and notify me of the misdirection by
reply e-mail.