www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: unauthorized use of tomcat logo?
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:19:25 GMT
Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Forwarded to legal-discuss....
>
> Jon Stevens wrote:
>> just saw this google ad for hostjava.net. i've seen this ad before and
>> thought that we were going to ask them to stop?
>
> I don't believe there is anything seriously improper about the Tomcat
> trademark use on that ad. They aren't using the word "Tomcat" as the name of
> their "Hosting" product (which is www.hostjava.net), but rather as a
> shortcut way of saying "Tomcat package Hosting."

http://tomcat.apache.org/legal.html

is quite clear on the subject. They can used the powered by logo freely
but not the Tomcat logo without asking the Tomcat PMC.

As far as I am aware, they have not approached either the Tomcat PMC or
the PRC to request such use.

Given the way they are using the logo, I'd have no objection to them
using it. However, I do think they should have asked first.

Since we don't object to them using it but do object to them not asking
first - where do we go from here?

Mark