www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Dead project names
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2009 03:55:16 GMT
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Henri Yandell <hyandell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Henri Yandell <hyandell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Why are we unable to restart the project under the same name if we're
>>> allowing multiple others to do so?
>>
>> Doing so would introduce confusion.  Once we relinquish use of the
>> name beyond what we minimally need in order to continue to distribute
>> old versions, the name is not ours.  Once it is in active use
>> elsewhere, we can't simply take it back.
>
> But you're okay with the notion that there could be more than one fork
> using the project?

All with unique names?  Certainly.

Are you asking what happens after we give up rights to a given name?
I'd prefer that we start things off in a way that minimizes the chance
of that happening, but the way I see it once we transfer rights it
ceases to be our concern.

> My general desire is to, using HiveMind as an example, allow others to
> make their own HiveMind provided they call it <Something> HiveMind;
> while we would retain "Apache HiveMind". If we want to restart the
> project, or if we want to bring one of the external projects back in
> through the Incubator, we would call it "Apache HiveMind".

Once upon a time Apache Jakarta was Apache Java.  The name was changed
in order to prevent confusion.

IANAL, but trying a few combinations: Apache WebSphere, Apache BigMac,
Apache Kindle...?  Nah, doesn't pass the "common sense" test here.
Particularly if the product in question has more than a superficial
similarity to the other product in question.  And in this case, you
are suggesting code with a common ancestor.

Perhaps it is time for others to chime in here, but if we are faced
with a situation where interest has ceased at the ASF and there is a
credible intent to pursue continued development elsewhere then we
should approach this with the mindset of a transfer of trademark in
exchange for the minimal and limited rights to continue to distribute
archived versions and without the expectation that we would ever use
that name again.

> Hen

- Sam Ruby