www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <hyand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dead project names
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2009 03:17:40 GMT
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Henri Yandell <hyandell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why are we unable to restart the project under the same name if we're
>> allowing multiple others to do so?
>
> Doing so would introduce confusion.  Once we relinquish use of the
> name beyond what we minimally need in order to continue to distribute
> old versions, the name is not ours.  Once it is in active use
> elsewhere, we can't simply take it back.

But you're okay with the notion that there could be more than one fork
using the project?

My general desire is to, using HiveMind as an example, allow others to
make their own HiveMind provided they call it <Something> HiveMind;
while we would retain "Apache HiveMind". If we want to restart the
project, or if we want to bring one of the external projects back in
through the Incubator, we would call it "Apache HiveMind".

Hen