www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Dead project names
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:15:02 GMT
The Apache Attic exists to retire projects at Apache. Nearly always we
will be happy to see a fork be created by the user base and wish it
all the luck in the world. Ideally it would be able to retain the same
name.

Personally I would also be quite happy to see a 2nd fork happen, again
with the same name as long as they were separately identifiable.

Questions for this list:

* Can we let them use that name? If so, how?
* Can we continue to distribute the older versions of the software?
* Can we continue to show the old website?
* Can we restart the project under the same name?

I'm additionally working with an assumption that Java package names
are not considered a concern. We wouldn't force people making a fork
of our codebase to rename every package/class in the codebase to avoid
a name clash.

Thanks,

Hen