www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDBC driver under Tomcat: aggregate or modified?
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:13:58 GMT
El jue, 05-02-2009 a las 13:33 +0100, Ognjen Blagojevic escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> If I develop my webapp for Tomcat, and if my webapp uses MySQL JDBC
> driver (which is distributed under GPL license), can I distribute my
> webapp under proprietary license?

Independently of the precise answer to the question, I have proceeded in
a different way in the past to avoid licensee problems.

Namely, I have listed in the deliverable documentation the packages I
was not sure about licensing restrictions as external dependencies (java
runtime, jdbc driver, ...) and asked them to be provided by the customer
during deployments. In this way I was not distributing the "virally or
otherwise problematic" components, and any provision in their licenses
would be my customer's problem.

Mostly like leaving the places to hook electric meter and associated
cabling and having the customer hire a licensed electrical installer
instead of putting the meter myself.

Regards
Santiago