www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Code contribution to ASF - What are the minimum actions
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:01:26 GMT
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>
>> This process provides an audit trail that answers the question "who
>> changed the license and were they authorized to do so?"
>
> If the owner of the code or an agent thereof commits the code
> (or submits it for svn import or migration) already correctly
> branded, there is no problem.  We don't need a trail, we have
> a contribution agreement.

Exactly. Craig, I don't see why it is ASF's problem to track IBM's
internal affairs prior to Incubation. We should not go looking for
problems (e.g. patents), and if we receive a paper from IBM, saying
"We contribute this, already under Apache license...", why would we
need to know what has happened prior to that?

>  The current incubator guidelines suggest that code *not* be
>  changed before contribution but be changed in svn. See
>  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-ip-clearance
>  for details on the process.

Uh.... It seems we read differently, "It is recommended that the
initial clean up be is started before the code is committed." and by
virtue of above, why not simply have that in place before it leaves
the hands of a single contributor? Why make it harder than needed?

Cheers
Niclas