www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Including code snippet in commercial software
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:15:06 GMT
On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Henri Yandell <hyandell@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you take a snippet out of an ASF project and put it in your source,
> and don't maintain the LICENSE, NOTICE, source header and potentially
> the note on modification;

Sorry Henri, I think we have some communication problems; The above
statement (which I agree with) is not in accordance with how I
interpreted your previous statement.

Here you say;
 1. License must be forwarded.
 2. A notice of such goes into NOTICE
 3. Source Header maintained.

You add "potentially", which seems like "if it makes sense".

To that, I just said; "This file contains...." to make it clear which
file that contain the snippet(s).
I interpreted that you claimed that every fragment of such snippet
must be kept identifiable through-out the history of that files future
life. I claim that is not maintainable, and not required.

I also said, that personally I make a huge distinction for a
modification made in a file that doesn't change name, for instance for
API compatibiilty reasons, in that there it would be listed that a
change has been made, and preferably (not always feasible either) what
those changes are (perhaps with a comment). I happen to think that
this is not strictly required, but a matter of good manners.

Cheers
Niclas