www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Including code snippet in commercial software
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:11:40 GMT
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Marc Poussin <marc.poussin@gmail.com> wrote:

> "You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that
> You changed the files "
>
> Basicly extrapolating from there, as it looked he would only use code and
> not full file.

Ok. IANAL, but I think that my recommendation of "This file contains
material that is available under the Apache License" prefixing the
Apache header fulfills your quoted section. I also got the impression
that the files are not modified, but code has been borrowed
(snippets), so technically speaking there is no "any modified files".
I have the impression that the above clause intends to avoid confusion
for files with same name (plus package) as the original, but is not
from the original source and contains modifications (under whatever
license, Apache license included...), and a potential user of such
file should be made aware of this fact.

Cheers
Niclas