www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Change JSecurity's Name
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 05:02:02 GMT

On Jan 11, 2009, at 3:32 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
>>
>> Has anyone from Jupiter contacted Apache about a problem?  Based on
>> the
>> research that has been done I don't see this as an obvious
>> infringement. If the project has been around for 4 years without
>> complaint I don't think it is worth the time and effort to worry
>> about
>> things Juniper may or may not choose to do in the future.  If their
>> claim is on J-Security one could argue that that is not the same as
>> JSecurity anyway.
>
> They don't claim J-Security as a trademark [1]. Further, they don't
> have any
> products with J-Security in the name. The only place I coud find it
> as the
> name of their research lab.
>
> I say register the trademark JSecurity, as a Java security framework
> and
> move on.
>
> Mark
>
> [1] http://www.juniper.net/footerlegal.html#05

Here's a good point.  I just did a search on http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm
.

There are no marks on J-Security or JSecurity.  I would imagine that
anyone who attempted to get that mark would be be too intimidated by
all the other JSecurity usages out there.

I guess I'm starting to change my mind.  In light of the fact that J-
Security, or anyone else for that matter, never held a mark and so it
prior use by them doesn't matter, would the other mentors reconsider
their vote?

Regards,
Alan