www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject draft ee spec notices.... is this allowed?
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:29:20 GMT
Geronimo has been working towards ee6 spec implementations and we have
a number of draft ee6 spec jars, in particular one for jpa 2.0.  The
draft jpa 2.0 spec includes this:

<jsr-317 draft>
NOTICE
2.Distribute implementations of the Specification to third parties for
their testing and evaluation use, provided that any such implementation:
(i) does not modify, subset, superset or otherwise extend the Licensor
Name Space, or include any public or protected packages, classes, Java
interfaces, fields or methods within the Licensor Name Space other
than those required/authorized by the Specification or Specifications
being implemented;
(ii)is clearly and prominently marked with the word "UNTESTED" or
"EARLY ACCESS" or "INCOMPATIBLE"
or "UNSTABLE" or "BETA" in any list of available builds and in
proximity to every link initiating its download, where the list or
link is under Licensee's control; and
(iii)includes the following notice:
"This is an implementation of an early-draft specification developed
under the Java Community Process (JCP) and is made available for
testing and evaluation purposes only. The code is not compatible with
any specification of the JCP."
</jsr-317 draft>

OpenJPA is trying to release a milestone towards implementing this,
and need the spec jar to be released.

Is there any problem releasing a jar with the notice in (iii)
included?  It seems similar to a FOU restriction. On the other hand
the notice looks grammatically ambiguous to me and I tend to interpret
the first sentence as:

This is an implementation of an early-draft specification developed
under the Java Community Process (JCP) and the early-draft
specification is made available for testing and evaluation purposes
only. (so you can do anything you want with our code)

thanks
david jencks