www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code contribution to ASF - What are the minimum actions
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:20:32 GMT
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Steve Poole <spoole167@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi All,   I'm a committer on the new Incubator project  Kato and I also
> work
> > for IBM.    I'm working out the list of changes that IBM needs to perform
> on
> > the codebase that will be contributed to Apache to seed this project.
> I've
> > had various suggestions from  Apache members and mentors but I can't find
> > definitive list that describes the least that needs to happen before any
> > code is fit to be contributed.
>
> There is no "definite list", since the Incubator exist to 'remove
> legal problems' before the codebase see the day of light as a release.
> An unencumbered codebase is of course preferred, and if you can manage
> that prior to contribution, then even better.

That seems a good pragmatic approach to me. As its a new poddling the
contributors aren't going to be familiar with all the ASF requirements so
the initial code doesn't need to be fully compliant and that doesn't matter
as the Incubator will sort it out before any releases or graduation. There
is going to be a software grant and CCLA so there wont be any problem
getting an authorised person to make any needed changes.

So that initial suugestion of whats required at minimum looks ok to me, if
more work is done before contributing to fix license/copyrights etc thats
fine too.

   ...ant