www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Non-OSS code in SVN [Was: w3c license versus svn]
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:50:08 GMT
On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> I guess it doesn't make sense to say that
> our build is of an open source product if one of the source components
> that went into that build is not open source, even if that one component
> is only intended for static test cases or DTDs. *sigh*  If we take that
> high road, then we would need our licensees to download the third-party
> non-open-source work separately and not include it in any of our artifacts.
>
> Personally, I wish we could just drop the policy that we only distribute
> under the Apache License.  All I care about is that we have the legal
> right to distribute, which is comparatively easy to ensure.

Here's the line that makes sense to me.

(1) We chose to develop our code under the Apache License.  Others may
make other choices, but this is the choice that we have made and that
we are comfortable with.  If you wish to make a different choice,
there are plenty of good places for you to do your development.

(2) Occasionally we may distribute, either as a part of our builds or
in our repository(*), unmodified artifacts that complement or complete
our products, provided (a) the PMC elects to do so, (b) we have the
legal right to do so, (c) doing so does not affect our right to
continue to develop and distribute our software under our license, and
(d) any such artifacts are clearly marked or otherwise identified so
that there can be no reasonable possibility of confusion.

> ....Roy

- Sam Ruby

(*) Whether stuff can be put into our repository is a decision which
involves multiple parties.  Legal policy is only one aspect.  The PMC
which oversees this portion of the repository may impose additional
constraints.  More relevant to this discussion is the fact that the
ASF President and the infrastructure team are free to impose
constraints.