www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <hyand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: w3c license versus svn
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:18:30 GMT
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>> Looking at Bill's answer - I think the answer here is No.
>>
>> It's a read-only format and:
>>
>> a) Shouldn't be in the distribution - category X,
>
> Why does "read-only" make it category X?  I thought the salient
> difference between category X and category B was that the license
> prevents us from developing our code under our license?

Overly aggressive summarizing on my part. Category X because there is
explicitly not a right to modify the content:

"No right to create modifications or derivatives of W3C documents is
 granted pursuant to this license. However, if additional requirements
 (documented in the Copyright FAQ) are satisfied, the right to create
 modifications or derivatives is sometimes granted by the W3C to
 individuals complying with those requirements."

Agreed that our axis for Category B/X is about it preventing us from
developing our code - so this needs more discussion. The language
above is strong and makes me personally go "No way, too painful", yet
I don't yet agree with Roy's statement that we only allow Open Source
in SVN.

This ticket was resolved as BSD - so we should spin this off as an
abstract discussion (that we have a few of in JIRA and need to keep
movement happening on).

Hen