www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Use of proprietary binaries
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:48:32 GMT
Hi Bill,

On Nov 23, 2008, at 2:03 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>
>> We had this discussion earlier regarding Hibernate jars. We don't
>> ship
>> them but we agreed that projects could optionally depend on them.
>
> So the question is, where should they reside?  We have a nice
> repository
> area for PMC's that are separate from the project sources.  If this
> was
> checked into the PMC area, much as TCK's might be, and the project
> depends
> on the jar but does not ship it, I think we are in fine shape.

Segregating TCK code into the PMC area serves a completely different
purpose: the TCK code is covered by NDA.

> Mixing such incompatibly licensed artifacts in the source code tree is
> a problem.  You assert developers only check out repositories.  Long
> before
> I was even a committer, I was relying on cvs for the bleeding edge
> of the
> project's development, and disagree with your assertion.

I'd call you a developer if you check out a source tree and build it
yourself. You at least had the sense not to try to build a release and
send it out, without understanding the licensing thereof.

> I even do the same for the apr/httpd project, building stubs for those
> libraries which we cannot ship, and providing users README pointers on
> how to obtain the actual backends.
>
> So we don't disagree, if this is an essential element for packagers
> to roll
> or for users to obtain on their own, they can do that.  But let's
> not mix
> it up in the project source code tree where it's liable to be added
> to some
> derivative, without paying attention to the licensing constraints.

And my opinion is that anyone who rolls their own release from an
Apache svn checkout takes full responsibility for the licensing of the
code therein.

There is a huge process for rolling Apache releases, with multiple
eyes, multiple interactions on the dev alias, and a formal vote by the
PMC to release code.

Craig