www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Use of proprietary binaries
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:54:17 GMT

On Nov 23, 2008, at 1:15 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> ralph.goers @dslextreme.com wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
>> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net <mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net>> wrote:
>>
>>    Oh it can be used.  If the license isn't appreciated, the
>> implementation
>>    can be replaced.
>>
>>    But can it be shipped?  Due to Henri's appropriate
>> interpretation of 1.
>>    below, the answer looks like a resounding "no".
>>

>> I think you are splitting hairs. "the implementation can be replaced"
>> amounts to pretty much the same thing as the dependency can't be
>> used.
>> In fact, the way I read the original question it sounds like IBM is
>> providing the API interface (not just the implementation) under an
>> unacceptable license. I'm not sure how you get around that.
>
> I don't think we are splitting hairs... either we expose downstream
> users
> to an IP risk, or we don't.
>
> Now I didn't understand that this would not be shipped.  But the
> chances
> for someone to use a checkout instead of a released package seem to be
> problematic.
>
> Notwithstanding the answers to Larry's questions and other comments on
> this thread, I would prefer if the developers/maintainers were given
> a script which checked out or untarred this package from IBM's own
> ordinal location, as a convenience, and we left our svn unmolested
> and untainted.  Maybe it's a difference without a distinction, but
> I'm still concerned about the risks of people including it without
> paying attention to the terms when they create a package, as opposed
> to the project's RM's.

Beg to differ.

We don't ship code with unacceptable licenses to users.

Users don't check out svn repositories. Developers do. And having code
with unacceptable licenses for downstream users is fundamentally
different from having the same code in our svn repositories.

We had this discussion earlier regarding Hibernate jars. We don't ship
them but we agreed that projects could optionally depend on them.

Craig