www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Data Donation
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:46:11 GMT
Hi,

I have a contact from a company that distributes blog data who is
willing to donate/provide access to the data without restrictions.
It's about 50 GBs and is of limited commercial value to them, since it
is older data.  It, however, useful to us in Lucene.  The main concern
I have at this point, that I can't quite get my head, is the notion of
copyright on the data.  There are two scenarios, I think:

1. They host the data and we merely link to it.

2. We host the data and make it available to all.

In case #1, I don't think there is really an issue w/ copyright, since
people are downloading it themselves, we are just providing a link.
In case #2, it seems a little fuzzier.  The company explicitly tells
their customers that it is up to the person downloading to respect the
copyright laws of their jurisdiction.  In other words, they are merely
facilitating access.  I think the case is similar to the one that
Google makes in terms of their caching of webpages.   I don't know if
this argument is just putting their head in the sand or not.  I
suppose it would come down to whether or not a blogger would sue over
inclusion of their site in the collection.

As of now, let's assume the company honors robots.txt when crawling,
if that matters at all in your responses.  I don't know if they do or
not, but I would guess they do.

At any rate, what do others think?  Would it be an issue if the ASF
distributed this data?

-Grant