www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Data Donation
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:16:13 GMT
Grant Ingersoll asked:
> At any rate, what do others think?  Would it be an issue if the ASF
> distributed this data?

If ASF were to distribute certain blog data ourselves, we would have to take
reasonable steps to honor whatever copyrights exist in that data. Do I
understand correctly that this is an option that we're *not* interested in
pursuing?

We shouldn't be concerned about reading anything at all that someone else
makes accessible in a public way without restriction. That does not involve
our copying and distribution, except peripherally through our individual
browsers. That is like reading a book in a library; we don't concern
ourselves whether the library itself has honored copyrights.

If I'm misunderstanding this offer, please explain.

/Larry