www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Michael Dick" <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of proprietary binaries
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:30:37 GMT
Hi all,

I've opened a fine can of worms :-).

I'm not a lawyer but I'll try to summarize. I believe the consensus is that
the IBM license is not palatable for inclusion with Apache source code.
There's some question wrt exactly what IBM is claiming with the license (ie
the copyright-ability of an API), for that I'll follow up with the
appropriate IBM contacts.

If we are free to make our own copy of the Java interfaces included in the
API we certainly do so. If we cannot then the question is where can we host
the version supplied by IBM. Ideally IBM would publish the API in a maven
repository "somewhere" or allow the OpenJPA project the "right" to host it
somewhere. If the API request access control then we can host it in the PMC
area (similarly to the TCKs).

On my end I will contact the appropriate folks at IBM and see if I can get
clarification on what their take is.

Full disclosure : I am an IBM employee, but the thoughts and opinions
expressed here are my own and may not be those of my employer, etc. :-).

-mike