www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Benson Margulies" <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of proprietary binaries
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 02:49:46 GMT
There are plenty of 'open source' license that are unacceptable for
materials in Apache repos, so restating the requirement for open
source does not strike me as adding much to the content here. Like
most discussions on this list, this is about the nuances of what
soi-disant open source licenses are acceptable for what Apache
purposes.

When someone publishes a set of test cases and makes them freely
available, freely redistributable, but not freely modifiable, then
Hen's proposal is to set up infrastructure to store them read-only.

We don't want to modify these. The whole point is to be able to
measure compliance against them as they are.

As a reductio argument, consider the TCKs. They aren't even remotely
'open source', but we store them in restricted repos because it is
essential to the efficient development of projects that need to be
tested against them.

Here we have something less nasty by far than a TCK. I think that
there's an argument that these could be checked into ordinary repos
with some guidelines, but the idea of a special RO repo struck me as a
good compromise between avoiding the crazy 'download in every build'
process while reducing the risk that we would facilitate some
violation of the license.