www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to deal with test data from external sources
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:33:08 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> Only think I can think of is that perhaps you can identify where the docs
> came from and just have your test script download them?

For the most part the documents are just included in the PDFBox source
tree and can at best be traced back to the SourceForge issue tracker
where they were first introduced as examples of problems that people
were facing. There's typically no indication where the people who
encountered the issues got the example documents from and whether they
meant to or had the rights to contribute the documents for inclusion
and redistribution in PDFBox.

One potential solution would be to leave those test documents to the
old PDFBox project on SourceForge and instruct people who develop
Apache PDFBox that they can download the test suite from there and
include it in the build if they want. If we did that, would it be
possible to include such an extra test suite in things like CI builds
on Apache infrastructure?

> How many files are we talking?  Seems like spending time to write
> independent files that show the issue is the way to go, unfortunately.

We currently have 58 such documents. It'll take some tooling (Acrobat
and other PDF generators) and probably a few hours of work per
document to recreate the test suite, so this would be no trivial
effort. We'll do it if we must, but it would be very nice if we could
somehow avoid the effort.

BR,

Jukka Zitting