www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject How to deal with test data from external sources
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:07:23 GMT
Hi,

Another topic to discuss about the incubating PDFBox project.

In PDFBox we have lots of test data (see [1]) that has been acquired
over time from various different sources. These test documents have
been introduced to illustrate specific problems that PDFBox users have
faced and are now included in the PDFBox test suite to guard against
regressions.

The problem is that we don't have much licensing information for these
documents or that the available licensing conflicts with Apache
policies. Good examples of the included documents are an IRS guide and
the JavaMail specification.

AFAIUI we can't include such documents in our releases and even having
them in our svn may be troublesome. However, simply dropping all that
test data would be a major step backwards in terms of test coverage.
Recreating the test suite would require quite a bit of time and
effort.

Any ideas on how to best solve this? The ideal solution would be one
in which we could avoid the legal issues but still keep all or at
least a part of the test documents somewhere where they can be used by
PDFBox developers.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/pdfbox/trunk/test/input/

BR,

Jukka Zitting