www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Use of proprietary binaries
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 03:59:34 GMT
Benson Margulies wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:27 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> The reason that I choose to devote my time and energy to Apache
> projects as opposed to some other kinds of open source projects is
> Apache's general tendency to emphasize practicality over ideology. I
> am trying to learn something from this conversation about the
> practical, legal, issues raised by the particular case I raised.
> Unfortunately, due to the 'cross-threading' previously apologized for,
> I'm not entire clear on whether the material quoted below was written
> on the assumption that I was writing about Xml Schema test cases, the
> OpenJPA binary JAR file, or both.

Both actually, because although the Schema tests are disclosed, they are
not open, while the .jar file case is neither disclosed nor open.

> I never intended to engage in the debate about OpenJPA and its
> binary-only JAR file. If you want to woodshed me further over the
> suggesting that W3C test cases might be checked in under some
> conditions or another, let's please continue on that thread.

If you read #3 in my link, you would note that it describes things that
--- although they appear to be open source --- are clearly not.  And when
the likes of Roy hammers home a point that some of us waffle on, we take
that seriously and back up his opinion.

These tests are not open, so although they are useful input data, we have
to find somewhere other than /repos/asf/tlp/ to stow them in.