www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Use of proprietary binaries
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:15:27 GMT
ralph.goers @dslextreme.com wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net <mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net>> wrote:
>
>     Oh it can be used.  If the license isn't appreciated, the implementation
>     can be replaced.
>
>     But can it be shipped?  Due to Henri's appropriate interpretation of 1.
>     below, the answer looks like a resounding "no".
>

> I think you are splitting hairs. "the implementation can be replaced"
> amounts to pretty much the same thing as the dependency can't be used.
> In fact, the way I read the original question it sounds like IBM is
> providing the API interface (not just the implementation) under an
> unacceptable license. I'm not sure how you get around that.

I don't think we are splitting hairs... either we expose downstream users
to an IP risk, or we don't.

Now I didn't understand that this would not be shipped.  But the chances
for someone to use a checkout instead of a released package seem to be
problematic.

Notwithstanding the answers to Larry's questions and other comments on
this thread, I would prefer if the developers/maintainers were given
a script which checked out or untarred this package from IBM's own
ordinal location, as a convenience, and we left our svn unmolested
and untainted.  Maybe it's a difference without a distinction, but
I'm still concerned about the risks of people including it without
paying attention to the terms when they create a package, as opposed
to the project's RM's.