www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "ralph.goers @dslextreme.com" <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Use of proprietary binaries
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:31:54 GMT
On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> Oh it can be used.  If the license isn't appreciated, the implementation
> can be replaced.
>
> But can it be shipped?  Due to Henri's appropriate interpretation of 1.
> below, the answer looks like a resounding "no".

I think you are splitting hairs. "the implementation can be replaced"
amounts to pretty much the same thing as the dependency can't be used. In
fact, the way I read the original question it sounds like IBM is providing
the API interface (not just the implementation) under an unacceptable
license. I'm not sure how you get around that.