www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Hendrik Maryns <hendrik.mar...@uni-tuebingen.de>
Subject Incorporating Jakarta library in my program
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:04:43 GMT
Hi,

I read the license itself,
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#WhatDoesItMEAN and
some more links, but things are still not clear to me.  I am afraid the
FAQ needs to be even more specific.  Particularly, Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_License states

The ASF approved an update to the Apache License 2.0 in January 2004.
The stated goals of the license included making the license easier for
non-ASF projects to use, improving compatibility with GPL-based
software, allowing the license to be included by reference instead of
listed in every file, clarifying the license on contributions, and
requiring a patent license on contributions that necessarily infringe a
contributor's own patents.[2]

But I can’t find this in the license.  I would be very grateful for
this, since I made a generic version of Jakarta Commons CLI, which means
I edited about every file in the package, and inserting a line that I
edited them would not only be cumbersome, it would also make it
inconvenient if I wanted to make patches to submit to the project.  But
I still want to include it with my program.

I only use 6 classes from the package, but I will include the whole jar
in my own jar.

The license said that I have to include the file called LICENSE in the
top directory of my program, but that would give the (incorrect!)
impression that I want to release my program under the Apache license as
well, whereas it is GPLv3.  Also, do I really have to copy the NOTICE
file over there, can’t I include its contents in e.g. the AUTHORS file
which I already have, following the example from GNU projects?

E.g. I have in AUTHORS:

The command line interface uses the Jakarta CLI library from the Apache
Software
Foundation[3], adapted to generics and other Java 5 features by Hendrik.

and in THANKS:

Used libraries and programs:
 Mona			<mona@brics.dk>
 Jakarta CLI	<http://commons.apache.org/cli/index.html>