www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any legal issues with Google Analytics?
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 02:12:44 GMT

On Sep 4, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Jukka Zitting
> <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A number of Apache projects are already using Google Analytics on
>> their web sites, and I believe that the normal mode of operation is
>> that access to the analytics data is given to any interested
>> committer
>> or PMC member.
>
> As a matter of policy, I believe if we collect this information, we
> must make it available to everyone - including the general public.
> This is our policy with the analytics that we harvest ourselves
> (http://people.apache.org/~henkp/analog/).  -- justin

Hmm. Do we make all *data* that we collect available? Or just the
analytics that we compute? I didn't think web server access logs were
publicly available, for example. One policy question would be are we
ok with the data that Google Analytics collects and makes available?
It seems that Google Analytics provides more information than is
currently made available by Vadim's or Henk's tools.

As already noted, the Terms of Service limit the data to "internal
use". I hadn't noticed this when I looked at Google Analytics,
previously.

I also just noticed that the Privacy clause (7) of the Terms of
Service state that "You must post a privacy policy and that policy
must provide notice of your use of a cookie that collects anonymous
traffic data." How many of the projects using google analytics are
following this requirement? I know of at least one project that is
not...

--kevan