www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any legal issues with Google Analytics?
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:30:52 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's also possible to schedule periodic report emails to be sent to
> the project mailing list. Based on the Google Analytics support forums
> this seems to be the preferred way of sharing site statistics with the
> public.

I sent the following question to Google to clarify whether this is OK
by their terms of service.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

----

Hi,

At Apache Jackrabbit, an open source project that is a part of the
Apache Software Foundation, we use Google Analytics to track the usage
of our web site. As an open source project we strive to have all our
data, processes, and collaboration publicly available. To achieve this
goal with our web site usage reports I would like to configure Google
Analytics to send periodic email reports to our public project mailing
list.

However, your terms of service require: "You will use the Software,
Service and Reports solely for Your own internal use". Does this mean
that we are not allowed to distribute the reports in public, or can we
interpret that our public project mailing list is in fact "internal
use"?

BR,

Jukka Zitting