www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Any legal issues with Google Analytics?
Date Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:51:54 GMT
Hello Mario,

Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> In fact, I see a legal question for Apache when using this Google
> service: Are we as non-profit organisation allowed to allow another
> commercial oriented company to gather that detailed statistics they can
> make money with?

While I share you concerns about user privacy in general,
you lost me here. We as a non-profit organisation release
data ("source code") that allows plenty of other, commercial
companies to make money with.

> I think making use of this service requires Apache to sort out such a
> question first, no?
> At least, I think it is not our "style".

That's worth to be discussed, though I'm not sure whether
legal-discuss is the appropriate list for it. The data
("source code") we release is contributed explicitly for
that purpose, while the data about user behavior is simply
collected for statistical analysis, probably without an
opt-out option for privacy conscious users.
I also see a difference between giving an outside entity
full access to user trails on the one hand, and doing
statistical analysis ourselves and publishing only the
aggregate results on the other hand.

I wouldn't expect infra to say anything but No [1] to
suggestions about setting up a tracking and analysis
package. Realistically, it's either Google or something
operated by the interested PMCs or nothing.

[1] http://www.jroller.com/lsd/date/20050717#why_we_say_no_to

cheers,
   Roland