www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: can stlport be used in the project under ASL
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:04:11 GMT
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 4:35 AM, Garrett Rooney
> <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Samul Kevin <lovesummerf@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> you mean that if GPled code don't exsist in our source code, then our source
>>> code , compiling with gcc, is ok to upload to svn repos ?
>>
>> No, that's not exactly what I mean.
>>
>> I mean that for the sake of determining if you meet the ASF's
>> licensing guidelines you don't need to worry about compiling with GCC
>> or linking against the GCC runtime libraries.  Any other GPLed
>> dependencies are probably still an issue, and must be removed.
>
> I sense a FAQ entry here.
>
> "Can we use GCC?"
>
> "You cannot distribute GCC with your Apache product, but it is
> perfectly okay to develop against it or build binaries against it.
> This is because the runtime libraries for GCC (for example libstdc++)
> contain an exception allowing exactly this.  "
>
> a) How does that look?

+1

> b) What are the runtime libraries? Is glibc one?

Glibc has a similar exception, I don't think you'd consider it a GCC
runtime library though, it's separate and doesn't come with GCC.  The
Java libraries GCC ships with gcj would count though.  (Note that
GLibc has a similar exception though, so it's not a problem either.)

> c) If a commercial product is made from an Apache product, does the
> exception stop applying?

No, it doesn't stop applying.  The GCC FAQ explicitly says that it's
fine to use libstdc++ in commercial programs, our FAQ should reference
theirs, I imagine.

-garrett