www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: can stlport be used in the project under ASL
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 01:07:58 GMT
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Samul Kevin <lovesummerf@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,our project is incubatoring in Apache
> community:http://incubator.apache.org/projects/bluesky.html
> however,the c++ library which we use in current project collide with
> ASL,thus we have to replace the library so that we can commit source code to
> SVN repository.Someone suggested that we could use STLPORT instead of the
> previous c++ library.But we don't clear whether the stlport license could be
> compatiable with ASL.People in our mailing list
> bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org told us to consult on this leagal
> discussion mailing list.'Cause Apache community decides if a project is ok
> in using tools with other license.
> here is the homepage of stlport:http://stlport.sourceforge.net/Home.shtml
> and the license of stlport : http://stlport.sourceforge.net/License.shtml
>
> if there is anything that i don't make myself clear ,do bring it
> on.Appreciate your helps!

Umm, I don't know anything about the STLPort license, but stepping
back a bit, what C++ standard library are you currently using that you
think is incompatible with the Apache License?  It seems like an
awfully strange piece of software to be trying to replace.  It would
be shocking to me if you couldn't use pretty much whatever C++
standard library you wanted.  I mean it's not like we keep people from
using various different C standard libraries, be they proprietary,
GPLed, etc.

-garrett