www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: can stlport be used in the project under ASL
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:00:49 GMT
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Ralph Goers
<Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I'm expressing a personal opinion that you shouldn't have a problem using
> stlport. However, I'm not on the legal committee, so my opinion is just as
> good as yours. I expect Sam or someone else will chime in soon and tell you
> the same thing.

I don't see any obvious problems, and I do think that the question
that Garrett Rooney asked previously is an excellent one.  In most
cases, there is no problem with calling standard interfaces provided
by runtime library implementations that ship with compilers, where
those implementations are not shipped in source form with our
products, but derived results may be included in our binaries.

That's not because there can't be a problem (in the 80's, for example,
IBM sold licenses to use their C++ runtime for OS/2), but because most
compilers these days provide freely redistributable runtimes that do
not affect the licensing of our source.

- Sam Ruby