www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any legal issues with Google Analytics?
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:04:23 GMT
On 19/09/2008, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
>  > this law is to be applied to french companies or associations or persons who
>  > are collecting these data. That means we aren't forced to inform the user,
>  > because the ASF is in the US (mirrors are also considered as proxies, and
>  > not subject to those rules, as they are just helping the system to work
>  > properly).
>

> But there's nothing to stop us from informing the users.

+1

>  Here's a draft for a privacy policy that covers the normal access logs we keep.
>
>  <draft>
>  Information about your use of this website is collected in server
>  access logs that contains the following information:
>
>    1. The IP address from which you access the website;
>    2. The type of browser and operating system you use to access our site;
>    3. The date and time you access our site;
>    4. The pages you visit; and
>    5. The addresses of pages from where you followed a link to our site.
>
>  We use this information to help us make our site more useful to
>  visitors -- to learn about the number of visitors to our site and the
>  types of technology our visitors use. We do not track or record
>  information about individuals and their visits.

Don't we track abusers? e.g. if a particular IP is hitting the servers
excessively, they might be blocked.  This certainly happens for SVN
access.

>  By using this website, you consent to the collection of this data in
>  the manner and for the purpose described above.
>  </draft>

Do any of the ASF sites use cookies?
I've not noticed any, but if they are used it might be necessary to
mention them.
Or indeed if we never use cookies, mentioning that might be a good idea.