www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@apache.org>
Subject Java 1.5 / 1.6 coexistence issues
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:13:22 GMT
We are trying to setup Cayenne ORM project structure to be both
buildable and runnable under Java 1.5 and 1.6. ("buildable" is
important for non-64-bit Intel Mac users. There's no Java 6 for those
older Macs).

The problem is that we are implementing a bunch of java[x].sql
interfaces in Cayenne that have changed between the versions of Java.
So take for instance a class implementing java.sql.ResultSet. To be
able to compile against 1.6 jars, we need methods like this:

   public java.sql.SQLXML getSQLXML(int) {...}

Which does not compile against 1.5 jars. So what I am thinking is
building a small "JDBC4-compatibility" Maven module based on OpenJDK
(or Sun JRE) that contains needed interfaces from java[x].sql
packages. It will be done outside Apache. Then the plan to make it a
Cayenne "provided" dependency. I.e. it won't be shipped with Cayenne.

Any licensing considerations with this approach?

Thanks,
Andrus