www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Reuse of ASF source code and NOTICE
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:06:21 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Simon Kitching ha scritto:
>
>> Oracle wrote 100% of ADFFaces. It then went through the incubator
>> where significant changes were made, but mostly by Oracle employees.
>> It has then had some changes, but not significant ones, as part of the
>> MyFaces trinidad project. So it is *probably* true that Oracle funded
>> the development of the code you are reusing. It seems fair to credit
>> them in the NOTICE.
>
> I thought that ASF suggested to remove copyright notices few years ago,
> and I removed any reference to my name in the code I donated/contributed
> to the ASF, that's why I wondered if this Oracle statement was redundant
> once they contributed it as part of their CCLA and granted copyright
> license for it.

Here, there is a small distinction with a difference, and it would likely
apply to an ASF codebase that's taken lock, stock and barrel into a new
project.  Since this is a fork, it does make sense that at the point that
the ASF acquired the code, we designate it as such.

The httpd project has similar NOTICE with respect to NCSA server.

> IIRC at that time there was also some mass-commit to remove the @author
> string from classes, without involving any of the @authors. So maybe
> this is was not appropriate, according to this Oracle issue.. or maybe
> this was ok because that @authors were not in the NOTICE file... ?!

An @author assertion isn't a ┬ęcopyright assertion.  They may be the same,
but not necessarily.

> In this specific thread I was asking how to deal with this as a release
> has already been voted by my PMC including the "code" but not including
> the credits.

Fill in the NOTICE.

Next round of the release, perhaps choose a different code base that doesn't
offend the community.  When confronted at the APR project with additional
NOTICE requirements of submitted components, authors have been asked to drop
the notice requirement or the patch won't be considered.  Authors have
generally removed their attribution requirement :)