www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hadoop commit question
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:23:55 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> 2) We were worried about the accidental inclusion of code (or similar
> code) from people that had worked for Sun or other organizations that
> had their own JVM/runtime technology or were a licensee of Sun's.  This
> is very much like the situation we're talking about here, I think.

Not so much, I think.  Harmony is a re-implementation of an identical
API in the same programming language, so bits of Sun code might easily
fit into Harmony.  On the other hand, Hadoop is an implementation of an
only similar API in a different programming language.  So the chance
that a bit of Google's code would fit into Hadoop (copyright
infringement) is very slim.

Doug