www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hadoop commit question
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:44:54 GMT
Brendan Miller wrote:
> Is it possible to commit to hadoop given I have worked at google in
> the past and used the original mapreduce and bigtable to write
> applications? Would I need to seek google's permission, or have they
> already given blanket permission? Are there legal entanglements?

The primary concern here would be betraying a Google trade secret.
If there are particular parts of Google's implementations that you feel
Google holds dear, methods not otherwise disclosed in publications or
patents, then you should not contribute implementations of these to
Apache, nor should you describe them to others at Apache.

Other than that, experience with Google's implementations should not
stop you from contributing to Hadoop.

Doug