www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: hadoop commit question
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:44:55 GMT
Brendan Miller wrote:
> Is it possible to commit to hadoop given I have worked at google in
> the past and used the original mapreduce and bigtable to write
> applications?

No.  The only way to be given commit to a project is to offer patches,
be judged to understand how the process works and what patches are going
to be acceptable, and have that project decide to offer you commit.

> Would I need to seek google's permission,

Not necessarily.  That's between you and your employer based on when you
are authoring code (your own or on company time) and how your jurisdiction
and employment contract are structured.  The ASF is unable to advise folks
individually on such matters.

> or have they
> already given blanket permission? Are there legal entanglements?

Your CLA, which is required for you to commit to the ASF, is a contract
between you and the ASF.  In it, you represent that what you submit, you
have the legal right to submit.

We'll research (email legal-private@a.o for an inquiry) and let you know
if you are explicitly (or as a blanket of all employees) covered by the
existing CCLA.  But it's your individual responsibility to be aware if you
are legally able to offer your contributions in open source to the ASF.

Sorry that their are no easier answers, but every jurisdiction, each
individual employment contract is unique in these respects.

Yours,

Bill